This month, love is scheduled for the 14th, and you better be ready! Social pressure and guilt are reserved for the unprepared. When we were first married, my husband thought we would just stop in at a restaurant after work and celebrate. It was a shock and disappointment when we discovered every restaurant in town had reservations and waiting lines until close to midnight. Lesson learned: think ahead. So, some years we have deliberately celebrated the day before or after.
Love is important and deserves to be celebrated more than one day a year but eating out or ordering long stem red roses can break the bank. Still, it can be special even on a budget. Here are seven ways to show your love (with or without a fancy restaurant reservation).
- Write a love note and put it on your Love’s computer, pillow or steering wheel.
- Cook (or order out) a favorite meal and eat it in front of the fireplace (with no TV on).
- Go for a walk together and afterward sit down and share a coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
- Do one of your Love’s normal chores (i.e. take out the trash, wash and dry the dishes) without being asked.
- Text a love note to your Honey in the middle of the day.
- Rent a movie (of the Lover’s choice) and snuggle together (provide a favorite snack).
- Fill a mason jar with Hershey Kisses and demonstrate a few!
The thing to always remember is that love, acceptance, trust and open relationships are precious gifts and need to be cultivated and celebrated regularly.
Happy Valentine’s Day!